The Layar is a spectacular design-led villa resort in the heart of chic Seminyak, moments from Bali’s best restaurants, boutiques and sunset beach bars. Cutting-edge contemporary architecture and ultra-chic interiors characterise the 23 villas, which offer stunning living spaces sculpted by the planes of the architects’ signature sloping roofs. Each individual villa is set within a private landscaped garden with large swimming pool, and from one to four spacious bedroom suites oriented for privacy.
With its cool design, hot location, and five-star service provided by 150+ staff, The Layar is designed for those with strong aesthetic principles seeking original experiences.
About The Layar
For a faultless fusion of inspired architecture and easy tropical living, The Layar is in a class of its own. This iconic enclave in the heart of Seminyak comprises 23 villas, each set in its own very private garden sanctuary fanning out from a central colonnade of mature flowering trees. An elevated setting means the villas’ front boundary walls all but disappear, creating a sense of openness and space that’s rare in this most popular of Bali’s resort areas.
Design enthusiasts are sure to love The Layar – meaning ‘sail’ in the Indonesian language and named in tribute to the villas’ distinctive roofs that taper dramatically to the ground like the rigging of a traditional sail boat. These iconic roofs, which are the signature of The Layar’s architects, create exciting split-level open living spaces with curved and angled walls and contrasting natural finishes that include tropical hardwoods, marble and stone sourced from the Indonesian archipelago.
Light, spacious and open-plan for easy entertaining, living areas flow smoothly out to the swimming pool and jacuzzi deck and on into the garden. Many of the villas have mezzanine-level media rooms, and all have plenty of comfortable seating areas. The bedroom suites are large and designed for privacy – every room, even the bathrooms, enjoys garden views.
The Layar offers a choice of one-, two-, three- and four-bedroom villas, each with its own distinctive design and all with an uncurbed feeling of space and openness. The one-bedroom villas are so romantic, yet even the largest four-bedroom villa has intimate, away-from-it-all corners.
Pleasing to those who treasure their privacy, staff only appear when you need them; The Layar is run along the lines of a boutique resort – complete with central kitchen and room service – so staff are on hand to tidy or serve up a sumptuous breakfast or poolside barbecue, otherwise you’ll have the villa entirely to yourself. And if you can tear yourself away, Bali’s best restaurants, bars and boutiques are only moments away,including the resorts own stylish Settimo Cielo for some fine Italian cuisine.
Four Bedroom Villas
At The Layar’s one four-bedroom villa, stone slabs across a lily pond lead into an open-plan living room that flows around contoured and angled walls towards the garden. A few steps up is a mezzanine media room where a glazed wall looks down over the living area; tucked below is a guest bedroom. At one end of the living space is a raised dining area, beyond which is a breakfast bar and the fitted kitchen. At the opposite end is a sitting area open to the garden. A corridor leads to a guest cloakroom and second guest bedroom, while, discreetly tucked behind another feature wall is a third guestroom with doors to the garden.
Across the lawn is a large swimming pool with a separate jacuzzi at one end and a spa with massage room and shower at the other. Beyond the Bengkirai-wood pool deck, and very privately screened behind another curved wall, is the master bedroom suite.
The large split-level living room provides a perfect balance of sociable open-plan entertainment space and quiet get-away-from-it-all corners. On a raised platform of polished Merbau wood, a dining table for eight is separated from the well-equipped kitchen by a bar counter. On the lower level, sofas are arranged around a coffee table overlooking the garden and pool. Above is a mezzanine media room where sensually curved seating runs the full length of one wall.
There’s more luscious lounging space in the garden, with oversized sunbeds languishing on the lawn and sun loungers and a circular love seat set on the pool deck. Submerged seating in the jacuzzi and shallow wings flanking the pool provide the perfect spots to stretch out and cool down. For sunset cocktails and alfresco meals there’s a dining table for six set before a barbecue cooking station.
A curved display wall creates an imposing backdrop to the master suite’s king-sized leather-and-wood bed which faces a bank of wardrobes and a desk set below a wall-mounted TV. A corner banquette looks onto a small garden open to the bathroom, where there’s a terrazzo bathtub, vanity with twin basins, shower enclosure and second alfresco shower.
Discreetly tucked off the living room in the main villa are the three large, air-conditioned, guest bedrooms, each with a unique charm. One is multi-level, with the king-sized bed on a raised Merbau-wood platform facing the pool, and a dressing area and large garden bathroom (with twin basins, indoor and outdoor showers and a bathtub) on the lower level. The two other bedrooms – one with a king, the other with twin beds – look onto their own corner gardens and also have indoor/outdoor bathrooms with bathtub, shower enclosure, and twin basins
- Capacity; 4 x 1-bedroom villas; 7 x 2-bedroom villas; 11 x 3-bedroom villas; 1 x 4-bedroom villa.
- Living areas: Open-plan living room; mezzanine media room in many villas; indoor dining for 4-8 people; poolside deck.
- Pool; Every villa has a private swimming pool (1 br pool 45sqm; 2 br pool 44-56sqm; 3 br pool 50-75sqm; 4 br pool 86sqm) with shallow area for kids; jacuzzi in all 2-, 3- and 4-br villas except one of the 3- br villas.
- Staff; A team of 150+ staff, including an estate manager, chefs, cooks, butlers, 24-hour receptionist, daily housekeeping staff, maintenance engineers and security ensures the smooth running of The Layar Villa estate.
- DiningOptions include a priced room service menu of international and Indonesian meals; private barbecues and other specially ordered meals can be cooked at the villa. Or dine in style at Settimo Cielo, our chic Italian restaurant perched at the front of the villa estate.
- Communication: Complimentary unlimited WiFi internet access and local telephone calls (international calls extra).EntertainmentSatellite TV and DVD/CD player in the living area or media room and in all bedrooms; iPod dock.
- Additional facilities: Barbecue on request; in-room safes in every bedroom.
- For families: The Layar is well equipped for families and includes a limited number of baby cots and high chairs. Pool fences are also available (extra charge applies).TransportOn request, the Layar reception team will call one of Bali’s safe and reasonably priced metered taxis, or arrange for car and driver hire (24 hours notice required, additional cost).
- Spa: A wide range of treatments can be carried out in the privacy of your villa by professionally trained spa therapists.
- Property area: 100sqm to 431sqm (villa); 250sqm to 1,081sqm (land).
Good food, effortlessly provided and gracefully served, is key to a relaxing and rewarding holiday experience.
Guests at The Layar can enjoy delicious food all day long, with a breakfast menu available from 7am to 11am and an extensive room service menu available from 11am to 10pm. Asian favourites like Nasi Goreng, Sate and Beef Rendang sit side by side with grilled tenderloin and salmon. Kids are well looked after too, with their own menu.
Particularly popular are The Layar’s private barbecue dinners – prepared, cooked and served at sunset in your villa garden. Guests also have the option of engaging a private chef who will design a special menu for them to enjoy ‘at home’ in the villa.
However if superb dining and people watching is what you are after try Settimo Cielo which is the fabulous chic Italian restaurant perched directly at the front of the The Layar. Settimo Cielo pulls expats and tourists alike with its great food, pulsing vibe and stylish interior. Open for breakfast, lunch, cocktails or dinner – right on your doorstep.
Guests preferring to self-cater will appreciate the villas’ well-equipped kitchens, and provisions can be found at the gourmet supermarkets only a ten-minute walk away.
One of the greatest advantages of staying in a villa is the service provided by dedicated staff. The Layar has over 150 staff, professionally trained and determined to do their utmost to please with their warm and friendly Balinese hospitality.
- Villa manager: The Layar’s manager is responsible for the overall operation of the villa estate including staffing, special requests and guest satisfaction. His team includes an assistant manager.
- Reception: 24-hour reception and concierge service.
- Chef: The skilled chef creates delectable dishes from The Layar’s extensive room service menu, or he and his team will happily prepare an amazing barbecue for you to enjoy in your villa. A chef can also be privately engaged to cook special meals for you at the villa.
- Butlers: Butler services available throughout the day.
- Housekeeping: Housekeepers will discreetly look after daily villa cleaning and tidying, and will prepare bedrooms in the evening.
- Spa therapist: A dedicated spa therapist is available to provide a wide menu of spa treatments in your villa, from 9am to 9pm.
- Garden and pool: The lush gardens and swimming pools are well maintained on a daily basis.